Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear TWITTER,
Happy Birthday to youuuuuuu….
Exactly 5 years ago, on March 21 in 2006, Jack Dorsey, Evan Williams and Biz Stone established the fascinating social network tool called “Twttr”. Everything started when the co-founder Dorsey published the first twitter message ever: “Just setting up my twttr”.
Back then, Twttr was used for internal communications at the pod casting company, Odeo, in San Francisco. Just three months later, they changed the name to Twitter and introduced it to the public as a social networking tool for all mankind.
Today, Twitter has become a source of breaking news and rumors for companies, celebrities, and everyday people. It allows anyone to post short messages (up to 140 characters) to its platform. For companies– it has also become a great marketing and promotion tool–by keeping its “Followers” up to date with new launches, hot topics of the moment and new products.
Twitter grew rapidly from 400,000 tweets posted, per quarter, in 2007 to about 200 million users and 140 million tweets each day by March 2011; and over the last five years, single tweets have led to relationships and breakups, marriage and divorce, fame and notoriety, and even revolution and rebuilding. Twitter would not be the same without all of the memorable tweets that were tweeted by all kinds of people. See below for our favorite tweets from the last five years!
- @Barack Obama: We just made history. All of this happened because you gave your time, talent and passion. All of this happened because of you. Thanks – This was posted by President Barack Obama (or a person who manages Mr. Obamas Twitter account) shortly after he won the 2008 presidential election.
- @jkrums: http://twitpic.com/135xa – There’s a plane in the Hudson. I’m on the ferry going to pick up the people. Crazy. – In January 2009, Janis Krums posted this tweet and the picture of the U.S. Airways jet landing in New York’s Hudson River. It literally caught the attention of the media while the image was among the very first pictures taken of that event.
- @nadiralamrad: @speak2tweet http://bit.ly/f6AGsC “Phone lines are being cut in the city centre…I can’t reach friends there.” #Cairo #Egypt #Jan25 #Tahrir – Jan 25th Twitter helped Egyptians communicate with their friends and family members that couldn’t be found as well and the world.
- @Astro_TJ: Hello Twitterverse! We r now LIVE tweeting from the International Space Station – the 1st live tweet from Space! J More soon, send your ?s – Astronaut TJ Creamer tweeted from about 220 miles above the earth on January 22, 2010. This turned out to be the first live tweet from space.
- In all sincerity… Thank you Twitter community for the warm reception & the followers that helped get me the 1M in 24 hours!!! #teamsheen – Charlie Sheen began the strangest descent into madness Twitter has ever seen on March 2nd, 2011.
Without Twitter–many would have not been to able to express their gratitude or concern to their fans and followers; and that is why we would just like to thank Twitter for all of its moving, inspirational, wacky and hilarious tweets. We look forward to celebrating more birthdays with you!